You have options when selling an inherited house
If you’ve been left a home in a will or from a family member, you may not want to keep it. It may be too much for your to maintain, contain bad memories, or be in a location you cannot visit regularly. In this case, the best thing for you to do would be to sell it before it falls into disarray.
Can I sell a house that is “in probate?”
Yes. Upward Home Solutions will work with you and with the probate process to create a seamless transaction. Even if the estate is being held up by a judge, we can often get things moving again. In fact, selling the house can often make the probate process go more quickly.
Time Equals Money.
How much time do you want to waste? How much money are you willing to spend?
While it’s true that you may get more money if you clean out the house, fix it up, hire a real estate agent, and go through the uncertainty of selling on the retail market, there is no guarantee. You don’t have control of the timeline of the sale. Clean-up can be costly, especially if there is a lot of stuff in the house. Repairs to bathrooms and kitchens can run in excess of $10,000.
However, when you sell to a cash buyer like Upward Home Solutions, you eliminate 100% of the risk. You know how much money you will get for the house. We will schedule a closing date with you. We can close in as quickly as two weeks or six months from now. And you know exactly how much you will pay out of pocket… $0!
Let’s imagine that you want to sell the “traditional” way. What does that look like?
Preparing for the Sale
If you decide to put the house on the market, there are some steps you will need to take. These steps can apply to selling any home and some are specific to inherited homes.
- Clean out the house of all of the original owner’s possessions. You may want to recruit other family members for this job in case they want to keep things. Even if you are the sole inheritor of the home, you should check with your family before you sell or throw away items they may hold sentimental value for. There are things you may want to keep for yourself, get appraised and sell or just hold a yard sale or estate sale. Homes sell better when they are clean, empty or staged carefully. If the home is cluttered potential buyers may not find it attractive and may not be able to see their own lives fitted into the home.
- Wait for the estate to go through probate and research the probate process in your state.
- Examine the will or intentions of the person who left you to home. If the property was left to one person or a Trust, that person or the trustee is responsible for handling all the transactions and taxes that come with the estate. If the home as been left to you and your siblings, for example, you should figure out which one of you has ultimate authority as it’s virtually impossible to agree on everything together. Usually the main inheritor will be outlined in the will.
- Hire a real estate agent to help you. Real estate agents are professionals with the resources and knowledge to help you sell your house quickly and in a smart way. Many real estate agents and attorneys specialize in homes that have been passed down. You want everything to be clear and out in the open so other family members cannot dispute your decisions.
Remember, all of these steps to prepare the house will take time and money.
There is another way that is better for most people. You can sell directly to a cash buyer. Contact Upward Home Solutions for a no-obligation, cash offer today. We buy houses “As-Is” so you do not need to clean or fix anything.
Price the Home
When pricing the home you are trying to sell, be aware that you may not get that specific price in the end. More often than not, you negotiate and settle on a lower value. You shouldn’t set the price too high to compensate for this or you may discourage potential buyers.
Don’t forget that the price you settle on with the buyer might not be the money you receive. Many times, buyers will change their offer based on the inspection and appraisal. Your Realtor will also deduct fees from the contract price. The number will only go down, not up.
With Upward Home Solutions, you will never pay any fees or closing costs. We aren’t real estate agents, and we don’t charge a commission. You will know how much money you will receive at closing. We remove the uncertainty.
Call Upward Home Solutions today 614-705-0866
UHS is here for you
Upward Home Solutions is committed to revitalizing neighborhoods, one house at a time. We have the experience, time, and capital to turn a run-down house into a beautiful home. Just look at some of our recent renovations:
We offer solutions you can’t find anywhere else
Most people don’t know that there is an alternative to selling with a real estate agent on the MLS. At Upward Home Solutions, we buy directly from homeowners, cutting out the middle-man (or woman). This means you get to keep more of the cash with less of the work.
For every month that you do not have to pay a mortgage, property takes, HOA fees, property insurance, you are SAVING MONEY.
We know people who have inherited a house and waited years to finally sell it. Perhaps they thought they would fix it up but never found the time or money. Or maybe they were overwhelmed with cleaning it out. Sometimes it can be tricky dealing with other family members. Upward Home Solutions can make the whole process easier. We know from experience that a cash offer and a contract in-hand can move things forward, even with reluctant relatives.
No-Obligation, Cash Offer
You have nothing to lose by giving us a call and getting a no-obligation cash offer on your inherited house. We will be happy to talk you through all of your options and walk you through the probate process. When dealing with the thorny issues of estates, it helps to have a professional on your side.
Call us today. Either Amy or Tim will answer the phone.
Our commitment to you
We know that we build trust by being honest, professional, and accountable to the Central Ohio community.
Please do your research on us.
Some links you might enjoy include
- Information on how our company is buying houses during the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic of 2020.
- Moving in a hurry? Upward Home Solutions can help.
- Our commitment to strong neighborhoods.